Our 17-4 PH Stainless Steel (SS) is a precipitation-hardening martensitic stainless steel, with a chemical makeup of approximately 17% chromium and 4% nickel. Typical usage is seen in applications requiring high strength and an excellent level of corrosion resistance. The strength and toughness desired can be manipulated by the temperate range in the heat treatment process. Best Stainless offers high-quality standards of 17-4 stainless steel bar including UNS S17400, AMS 5643, ASTM A564, and ASTM A693 Grade 630.
17-4 PH stainless steel comes in a variety of grades and shapes used for many applications. We have an extensive stock of shapes including 17-4 stainless steel round bar, hex bar, flat bar, and square bar, as well as boat shaft and pump shaft. The stainless steel bar composition is carbon, chromium, Columbian + tantalum, copper, manganese, nickel, phosphorous, silicon, and sulfur.
Below you will find typical applications of 17-4 PH stainless steel as well as the metals' composition and mechanical properties. Learn more about the value-added services that we offer to help you expedite the current job you have at hand.
17-4 PH Stainless Steel Bar Stock
Our stainless steel bar stock lengths range from the industry standard 12' to 28' long. For projects requiring long-length stainless steel bar, our inventory ranges from 20’-28’ R/L. We also offer several shape options, including pump shafts, round bar, square bar, boat shafts, flat bar, and hex bar shapes.
Benefits of 17-4 PH Stainless Steel
17-4 PH Stainless Steel has many benefits across several industries and can be used for many applications. It is typically used in the industrial space, especially in manufacturing. Here are some of the benefits that 17-4 Steel offers:
- Superior Corrosion Resistance
- 17-4 PH stainless steel is incredibly resistant to corrosion due to its high mechanical strength. It can be exposed to acid or salt water, for instance, allowing it to be utilized in chemical processing or marine propulsion.
- High Yield Strength
- In certain industries, the weight of stainless steel can be a concern, which makes 17-4 PH stainless steel a good option for applications with high-stress levels.
- Good Heat Conductivity
- When high temperatures are present, 17-4 PH stainless steel is thermally conductive, allowing it to be a heat exchanger, and also offers low thermal expansion.
- If needed, 17-4 PH stainless steel can be welded with other types of metals, which means it can be used as both a conventional metal and a filler metal for different applications.
17-4 PH Stainless Steel Stock Shapes
- 17-4 PH Round Bar
- Our 17-4 stainless steel round bar supply ranges from 1/8” to 24” in diameter. As an industry leader in long-length stainless steel bar, we provide the perfect stock for your needs.
- 17-4 PH Square Bar
- Our 17-4 PH square bar stock is comprehensive and comes in a number of square bar grades, like 300 Series and 400 Series.
- 17-4 PH Pump Shaft
- As a leading stainless steel bar distributor to the pump manufacturing industry, Best Stainless provides high-quality, 17-4 pump shaft bar in several common grades and sizes.
- 17-4 PH Flat Bar
- From Precipitation Hardening grades to Duplex Stainless Steel grades, our stainless steel flat bars are high-quality and can be used for a variety of applications.
- 17-4 PH Hex Bar
- Our 17-4 ph stainless steel hexagon bar comes in several grades and can be cut to your specific needed size for any project or application.
- 17-4 PH Boat Shaft
- Best Stainless supplies a variety of boat shaft stainless steel bars in long lengths and oversized to finish.
17-4 PH Stainless Steel Bar Properties
(% in 2in.)
|Reduction Of |
17-4 PH Stainless Steel Bar Applications
- Pump Shafts
- Oil Patch
- Mechanical Seals
17-4 PH Stainless Steel Bar Composition
- Carbon 0.070 max
- Chromium 15.00 - 17.50
- Columbian + Tantalum 0.15 - 0.45
- Copper 3.00 - 5.00
- Manganese1.00 max
- Nickel 3.00 - 5.00
- Phosphorus 0.040 max
- Silicon 1.00 max
- Sulfur 0.030 max
17-4 PH Industry Standards
- UNS S17400
- AMS 5643
- ASTM A564
- ASTM A693 Grade 630
- NACE MR0175/MR0103 (H-1150D Condition)
17-4 PH DFARS Compliance
- At Best Stainless, we stock 17-4 PH Stainless Steel bar that is DFARS (Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement) Compliant.
Call us today at (713)482-4000